Saturday, September 10, 2011

A Brief Introduction

Before I embark on this somewhat daunting quest, I thought I would provide a bit of background about my motivations and goals in undertaking this project. I will also attach my reading schedule and version information for those who are interested in reading along with me.

My name is Sara and I am a first year university student in Montreal, Quebec, hailing originally from San Francisco. I have identified as an atheist for most of my life, although I was raised Jewish, and despite my consistent lack of belief I have always maintained a strong interest in religion. For the past four or five years it has been my intention to actually read the bible in its entirety, but like many other interested parties I have never actually pursued this desire in any real capacity. Most of the reading plans I've encountered are for 365 days, and so I am hopeful that a 90 day plan will be more effective in holding my interest. I also hope that this blog will provide me with extra motivation!

I can't make any promises about how this blog will evolve, but my intention is to document my own experiences -- so it will lean towards being more personal than academic. Although I would never claim to be free of biases, I think my perspective is a relatively objective one, and I hope that my insights will be interesting. Some reasons for my interest in the bible are its influence on western society, and more specifically western literature, so my observations will probably touch on elements of those two things. On the other hand I really don't want this to be a drab and boring account, so I will try to approach this endeavor with good humor as well.

Here is a link to the reading plan I will be using. I will be reading from the Oxford Study Bible, which contains the Revised English Bible with the Apocrypha. I will begin on Sunday, September 11th, 2011... Feel free to read along!

No comments:

Post a Comment